Access to Records

the law

The Data Protection Act states that people are entitled to see the information that organisations hold about them and this must be done within a clear time frame. In the Information Commissioners Guidance notes it states that:

"Organisations should have procedures for handling Subject Access Request’s (SARs;) staff should be trained to recognise them and to deal with them promptly and in any case within 40 days. It is good practice to record all incoming SARs and track them through to completion. They should be acknowledged and the individual should be advised when they can expect a response."

A young person can...

1) ask an advocate to help them through the process.

2) talk to their social worker and ask for any specific information wanted. They may be able to give the parts wanted easily

3) fill in the Brighton and Hove City Council subject access form and send to the Information Compliance Officer explaining what is wanted.

Please send your completed application form with one piece of ID to:

Information Governance Team Brighton & Hove City Council

4th Floor, Bartholomew House Bartholomew Square



If you have a query about a Subject Access Request or a data protection issue in relation to Brighton & Hove City Council, please email or call 01273 295400.

Additional resources for accessing Records/Subject Access Requests can be found here or for any questions about accessing your information